Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Frustrated Satisfaction

Re-formatting your hard drive, while not the most enjoyable process to go through, can end up not being such a bad thing. I've just finished going through that process on my desktop computer. Programs were running extremely slow, cpu usage was almost always at 100%, and nothing seemed to work right. It all added up to needing to just wipe the slate clean and start all over. In the end, it's now 3:00 in the afternoon, and I have an empty hard drive, and a fast working computer again. Not a bad trade off. Good thing I backed up the hard drive just the other week.

The paper/powerpoint for the thesis is coming along nicely. Obviously, no work has been done today since it's taken me until about now to get my internet connection working again, which is necessary since in order to use the programs that my paper is on, I need to connect to ORNL's VPN network. There's about 3 weeks left now...the countdown is on. Things are looking good though, with the paper formatted and essentially finished except for maybe a few more minor cosmetic adjustments, and the powerpoint layed out in it's entirety. Now I've just got to add some graphics and such, and it will be ready for presenting. At least, that's the plan.

I just realized yesterday how incredibly terrible I now am at the game of ultimate frisbee. We played last night for a couple hours here in OR, and I got consistly owned by the other team, at least in terms of me making defensive plays. Even Mandi looked at me like, "What the heck are you doing???". It was really quite sad. I guess that comes with having not played a lot, and just being out of shape in general. On a positive note, though, my throwing is probably the best that it's ever been. Sam throwing a 40 yard flick for a score? Yeah, it's possible now on occasion. Who knows where that came from, but for me, not playing much apparently translates in to improved throwing ability. Hopefully by the end of the summer, things will be more back to normal.

And on a side note, somebody needed to talk to the people getting married in the coming weekends (Josh and Mark) about picking their times for weddings (11 AM and 8 PM respectively). Who has weddings at those times anyway? Just kidding guys. Enjoy the new tune.

2 comments:

Philip said...

Cheap people have weddings at odd hours like, 6AM, 3PM, and midnight because they don't want to pay for additional food. Thus, by having the wedding at an odd hour, your guests will fill their bellies at their own homes, or at the Burger King down the street.

That said, I understand Mark couldn't afford to rent a nice hotel for their honeymoon night. Thus, he hopes the later he plans the wedding, the more tired Lindsay will be, and the less she'll care about cockroaches on the floor.

I understand Josh simply wanted an 11 AM wedding because of some built up sexual frustration. The early bird gets the worm. (hmm maybe I should chose a better analogy.)

feel free to edit this.

Paul Murphy said...

Wash your mouth out with soap.