Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Things Better Left...Unseen?

The other day, after dinner, dad said that he was going to the church to play some basketball. I had asked who all would be there, and he wasn't entirely sure but that a friend of ours had said he should come out and play for a while. Dad was a pretty good player back in the day, but it's been quite a while since I've seen him go play b-ball. Well, having not run yet yesterday, I figured I'd go along as well as it would be a good little bit of exercise. So I ended up going, and it turns out that they don't play full court. A league here in Oak Ridge plays a half-court 3-on-3 style game, where you play to a certain score, usually 25 or 30 or so. It turns out to be a good workout, but for the older guys, it's essentially 3-point shooting practice since the game-plan is to pass the ball around, and hit a 3 at the first opportunity. Maybe once every 10-15 possessions or so someone will drive the basket, but that's about it. I still got myself a good bit of high-intensity running in though, since I would just chase the ball around. At any rate, I talked with Mandi later in the evening, and mentioned that I'd attempted to play basketball, which anyone that knows me would know that it's a lost cause. But she said she couldn't even picture me trying to play. Which got me to thinking of other things that I didn't want to ever have to try and picture or see myself attempting...

1) Basketball
Reason that I shouldn't be pictured attempting this - I'm Asian. Enough said

2) Visual Art
Reason that I shouldn't be pictured attempting this - Have you seen anything I've attempted to draw? Be thankful if you haven't. I might be the worst pictionary player in the world, and if you can't even draw to get someone to guess what you're attempting in that game...well, you're bad.

3) Ballet/Gymnastics
Reason that I shouldn't be pictured attempting this - Does this really have to be spelled out?

4) Bodybuilder
Reason that I shouldn't be pictured attempting this - Well, besides the fact that it's disgusting, I sure can't think of why this would be your objective in life. And have you seen the female ones? If they need a commercial about what drugs can do to you...

That's about all I can come up with at the moment in between attempting to find jobs and such. If you've got suggestions, I'd like to hear them. Tonight, it's wings and a movie with the guys from church. 3:10 to Yuma is on the schedule, and Wild Wings Cafe is the dinner. Should be quite the evening.

1 comment:

Philip said...

Yao Ming is pretty good. I'm pretty sure another asian was drafted this year.

I can't wait to play in an old-man basketball league.