Thursday, September 06, 2007

It's Just An Illusion...

I've always enjoyed magic. Way back in 1991 I saw my first magic show on TV. It was a David Copperfield special, that he used to run every year. Dad had watched them, and this was the first one that I was able to watch, or that I was interested in watching. A few years later he came through Knoxville, and my family went along to see the show. I don't remember a whole lot about that first show, except for his entrance and exit. The entrance was done in an empty box, along with a motorcycle. The finale was him riding that motorcycle onto a lift that took him up about 20 feet above the stage. The bottom fell out of it, and he reappeared about 3 rows behind us on the motorcycle. Needless to say, I was impressed.

I always looked forward to the specials, and for a while there were a number of magic shows on TV just at random. I even got myself a magic book that did some sleight of hand tips and tricks. About a year ago, Copperfield came back through Knoxville, so of course my family and I had to go. There were a bunch of new tricks, a number that we had seen in his last TV special. The most impressive of these dealt with audience members. In one, they take one audience member anywhere they want in the world. Whether they really do go to places like the Caribbean or Hawaii or not is up for debate, but it's sure believable and amazing. The other involves bringing 13 audience members up to the stage and making all of them disappear, and then reappear in the back of the auditorium almost instantly. If you get the chance to see him live, I would highly recommend it.

At any rate, all of that since I decided to put up one of his best illusions. It's portrayed as an escape, but it's really one of the best illusions that I've ever seen done. If you've not seen it before, you're in for a treat.

No comments: