Monday, July 23, 2007

Disarray

Well, it has been quite a while since I had any meaningful post on here, so I figured I'd drop in and update. It's been a hectic couple of weeks. I'm in the process of going through the red tape to finalize everything on the Masters. There's the final final draft of the paper to be read for the UT Thesis Consultant to ensure that it follows the guidelines of UT for acceptance. There are the forms and papers to be filled in with all of the necessary signatures, and there are the usual trifles that need to be taken care of in terms of tying up all the loose ends with the physics department concerning official UT stuff (like keys to the buildings and such) that I'll have to probably let them have back. Unfortunate, at least in the sense that I won't have access to the telescopes should I have a need or desire to go up and use them again. But it's almost there.

Everything else is in a complete lack of order. I've been working today on job hunting, cleaning, and packing. Job hunting was not all that successful today, as there were problems at my apartment with the power supply (apparently someone doing construction nearby managed to cut right through the power lines) so everything was screwy most of the day. That reminds of the times when I would be going to Searcy and would be staying at the house of Justin Bland and I think that the for at least the first 2 times (maybe 3) I came out there on random weekends, some guy close by would cut through their water line and they would have no running water at the house. I thought I had gotten past that curse...apparently not. I guess in the future I'll just need to go and tell whoever it is that thinks that they can operate heavy machinery that they should re-think their strategy. There was also a water heater that broke right above me, leading to some weird colored liquid to drip through my ceiling, and subsequently having the water turned off throughout the building so they could get in there and get it fixed. So after a promising start this morning with a few applications sent in and mucho help from Mandi in terms of my resume and cover letter, it didn't end up going as well through the rest of the day.

I did, however, get a good deal done in the packing department, clearing off the bookshelves that I have and putting everything in to boxes. Now, I might have over-packed the boxes since they turned out to be extremely heavy, but I figure if there's 2 people carrying them, it shouldn't be that bad. As long as the box doesn't break...It was nice getting those things packed up and all. Tomorrow will be exclusively spent hunting more jobs.

It's really quite strange, how things kind of feel right now. It's hard for me to imagine that it's been 2 years since I started this graduate program here. It went by quite quickly in all honesty. There's been a lot that's gone on though, with numerous trips out to Harding through the first 1 and 1/2 years; frisbee tournaments at random times, new friends from church, trials, frustration, joy, excitement, and at the end of it all a graduate degree that will hopefully help me in some form or other. I guess it really is the end of an era of sorts. I'll be heading back home for, hopefully, not too long a time until I get myself a job and a source of income. Then it's on to the post-school time of life. It's hard to see what's coming, but I'm sure it'll be exciting, and probably move even quicker than the past 2 years. For now, though, a constant state of disarray is not all that bad. I'll just hope that it gets sorted out sooner rather than later.

No comments: