Thursday, October 26, 2006

Why Worry?

You can tell that today is a homework due day in the classes that I'm in. My friends and I are sitting here frantically writing random equations down hoping that the grader will be to the point where they don't care to carefully read through what we've written and just arbitrarily give us some points for the problem. It has been referred to rather frequently as the "fog of war" approach to homework. Throw down all sorts of stuff and they'll just assume you know something and give you some credit. It works amazingly well, and it's not like any of the teachers here know who you are from anyone else. I think this has been possibly my most un-educating years of higher education. I couldn't tell you half of anything that's gone on for the past 2.5 months of classes. Based on my mid-terms, I couldn't tell you 60% of anything that's gone on. I don't know if that's a reflection on the classes I'm taking, the teaching quality, or my ability as a student. As far as I'm concerned, nobody really understands statistical mechanics, and well, nobody in my class understands solid state mechanics, so we'll just blame the teachers for their inability. At least I'll feel better until I get these homework sets back.

Does anyone know if it's legal to put out "decoy" flags in capture the flag? Cause I'm pretty sure that qualifies as a spirit of the game foul. I ask this, because we were playing last night using the yellow milk-jugs with glow sticks placed inside. Since our team dominated the first round, we were planning on doing the same the next. When one of our team members caught a glimpse of something glowing, we naturally assume that it's the flag. One of our team runs around to get the defenders attention, and I make for the flag. It's in a tree, I get it out, and wondering what happened to the bottle it was in, make my way back to the base. About 30 seconds later, the other team comes out with our flag and promptly states that I took the decoy flag and that they have in fact won. I've never played with decoy flags before, but I certainly think that it should be illegal. We'll put it down that the final score was indeed

Yellow Asian Kamikaze's - 2, Poor White People - 0

Tonight is a concert with Kutless as the headlining band. It's probably the first (rock) concert that I've ever gone to if you discount those ones that they have at big church festival things where they bring in bands to play for the teens and stuff. I think it should be pretty cool. They're an awesome band if you like Christian rock, so check them out if you're in to that kind of music. That should at least improve this week.

As a note about food, stir-fry with Hoisin sauce sprinkled in, soy sauce and some rice to mix in with everything works wonders for a dinner. Just ask mandi about it, and she'll tell you how to cook some mean stir-fry. Off to class. Blah.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was firmly on your side in the "deocy flag" issue until I realized the whole story was just a ploy to make fun of white people.

Being a white person myself, I am not firmly NOT on your side.

Josh M said...

I support 60s on tests.

Anything more is overrated.

Sam Travaglini said...

Thanks luke, by being "not firmly NOT on your side", you are in fact on my side by your use of the double negative. Your vote of confidence inspires me.