Monday, October 23, 2006

Memories

First off, this post is dedicated to Paul Murphy since he apparently hates being commented on in anything titled memories.

So I went back out to Harding this past weekend. It really is strange going back there and seeing the many different things that are there. It's not like it's been that long since the last time I was there. Probably about 2 months, but the changes over the course of the past year and a half are really quite substantial. For starters, the Heritage is a completely different building. There are waterfalls in the lobby, spiral staircases to the second floor, and a large metal globe in the center of everything. Not to mention that it actually looks like a nice hotel now and not just a pathway between the student center and the (Charles) White Dining Hall. There is a new fountain (was this really necessary?) by the Admin that is (overly) elaborate and huge, the dorms are all being renovated to eliminate community showers, and the front lawn now has another pathway that is crossing over it.

I accepted all these things as change and didn't really worry about how old it makes me to know that the science building new wing really is 3 years old and that the circle with a road blocking sign pointing out Harding that goes from in front of the caf onto race is a piece of crap in an already congested intersection. Then I go off to frisbee and I recognize about 7 other people that are playing (adam williams and I counted). It's also amusing to have a majority of them looking at me like they think that I have no clue how to play frisbee. But what really got me was when Burr was commenting on a particular persons catching style. I made the (usually) always funny joke that it reminds me of how justin baines would always jump to catch a disc regardless of whether it was 2 inches or 10 feet off the ground. Those feet just had to come off the ground. In days past, that would have had everyone laughing and joking about it. This time, I think that adam laughed. And that was it. Everyone else had this look of, "What are you talking about?" Sadly, I too have become "old", and part of a Harding from a different time and place.

There are things that are still the same. Doc still tries to act menacing while teaching his class all about the joys of organic, but the grimace and glare usually just come across as a goofy grin. Justin Bland is still at Harding University (as a student). #1 Super China Buffet is one of the best all-you-can-eat chinese places around, and construction on the road to Little Rock is (not) farther along than it was the first time I visited about 8 years ago.

I guess that change is inevitable. It makes you realize, however, that there are things that are important, and things that are not so important. In the end, will anyone really care that you spent infinity hours at harding park and behind harding academy honing your frisbee skills? Will anyone know that you did in fact own the new physics wing of the science building the first year it was in use? Maybe it was that performance/presentation/speech/club that was quite possibly the finest thing that the students at Harding University could witness in their lifetime that people will remember for a few years? Or is it the one person who will remember you for a lifetime because in their time of need you reached out and touched them?

For your viewing pleasure, with the World series quickly reaching an end (thank goodness), the return of House Tuesday nights on Fox is quickly approaching. If you've never seen the show before, watch it. And become addicted. Just like myself, paul, mandi, stoner, mandi's suite, and countless others are...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sam, thanks for the shout out...I guess. Your blog was full of nostalgic tones, made me miss the old days. I have spent a good portion of time a while back thinking about the very things that you are talking about.

In an ever changing environment especially Harding, we strive to put our mark down. To make a change, to feel like we have made an impact, to feel like our work was not in vein and that we have made a difference (oddly enough that’s why people are much more willing to give to Harding if their name will be on a building than for scholarships that get students though school...they have made a difference that can be seen by others). Our impact on Harding is minute at best and on top of that doesn’t last long at all after we leave (if it even lasts that long), so is this all in vein?

I still struggle with this, but what I concluded was that WE are supposed to BE changed. GOD wants to put HIS mark on us; HE wants to change us so that HIS mark is seen by all who see us. We want to feel like what we are doing has a purpose (that is buried so deep in side us that people take their lives over it), but what we need to see is that GOD has a purpose for us, to change us, to shine through us. You touch on a hot topic Sam, but just to let you know….you have changed my life. So has Paul, Luke, Jake Beverage, David Jones, Steven Lamb, Jacob Gregson, Colby Blaisdell, Jordan Walters, Brett Jordan, Whit Jordan, Landon Ganus, need I go on? So does infinity hours of frisbee really matter, will anyone care?…ABSOLUTELY! I will take that any day of the week and twice on Sunday over any class that I have had (and I have liked several of my classes).

Understanding that we are to be changed will also change those that we are around. Although Harding is a different place than when you were there: with different buildings and different people, understand that the people you were with while you were there are different as well because of you. It is not in vein.

Josh M said...

I second Bland.
Frisbee was probably one of the best things I was a part of at HU