Saturday, October 28, 2006

Impressions

First of all, I'd have to say that the next time I go to a concert, I'm taking a pair of earplugs. I can't handle about 2.5 hours of incredibly loud rock music. Don't get me wrong, it was a great concert, with awesome bands and a good message...it just had my ears ringing for about an hour afterwards. I'd have to recommend seeing them if you get the chance however. They also had one of the best CD deals I've ever gotten for new CD's which was 2 for $10. Not a bad deal to add to an $18 dollar concert that lasted 3 hours. All in all, a good evening.

Concerning the title of this post, I attend a bible study on Friday nights. It's a study that's designed to increase our personal study in the bible and encourages us to become stronger in terms of personal goals and objectives for study, prayer, and sharing of our faith. I believe that all of these things are good things to focus on and look to improve since we should be wanting to do all of these things of our own accord. However, I can't say that I agree with or completely understand everything that is said there by the leaders.

Take tonight, for example. The main message was one about excuses; excuses that we make that affect our personal relationship with God. Now, we were given 4 main excuses that are commonly used for missing personal study or not attending something such as church or a bible study; these being lack of time, family, work/school and hobbies. I realize that the reasons of being too "busy" and hobbies are things that should not keep you from improving your relationship with God. We all know that "busy-ness" is not something that really hinders us as we waste more than 30 minutes a day doing random, unimportant things. And if hobbies that are simple interests take more time in your life than it takes to read a few chapters of the bible, then I don't exactly know what you're doing with the rest of your time.

Despite agreeing with these two, I have a hard time understanding the other two. Of these, I would guess that the "excuse" of work/school would appear to fall in to the same category as being busy. However, I also know that in Colossians 3:23 we are told "Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men." I'm not sure, but I don't think God wants us to just stop working at our jobs or school to sit and study his word all the time. And if we're working at something diligently as if for him, is that not in itself a form of worship and obedience? I understand that if you continually claim school/work is keeping you from meeting together or personal study that it is not a good thing, but I don't understand how it is something that should be looked down on every time. There are times when you really are genuinely busy, whether it's with tests, homework, a thesis, being a graduating senior, starting a new job without flexible hours, or any number of things. Does not meeting together like you had been make you less of a follower or a sinner? I don't think so. And I believe that God would put us in those situations for a reason. And if we're there for a reason, why should it be considered sinful? I have a hard time accepting that reasoning.

The same holds for family. The well-known story of the man wanting to bury his father in Matthew 8:21-22 was mentioned showing how Jesus expected to be followed over your own family. I take this to mean, however, that since his father was not a disciple of Jesus and apparently had no intention of following (since he didn't come along with his son), that he should not worry about the fate of the "dead" and instead concern himself with learning of Christ in order to better understand. This view comes from the interpretation that the father was not yet dead, and that the son was wanting to wait for his passing before following Jesus. I'm guessing that most of us (meaning people that I know reading this thing) come from good Christian homes. Frankly, I am often able get more out of being at home with my parents or out in Searcy with friends and having discussions with them concerning spiritual matters than I do in weeks here in Knoxville by myself, or even in this devo group.

I guess that I resent the idea that it should be considered a sin because they put something like family or supporting themselves ahead of a bible study, or even personal study time occasionally. I understand the view that was being put forward that was focusing on the fact that if it becomes habitual, it is indeed harmful. I completely agree with that. I can't bring myself to accept that they are never valid excuses and should always be discounted and avoided at all costs. I know that if I have to choose between being with my family for a weekend or going to a bible study with some cool guys on a Friday, I'm going to choose being with my family. Does that make me less of a Christian, or a poor example to non-Christians, or a disobedient follower of Christ? I certainly don't believe so.

Tomorrow, the church I attend is having an event called "Trunk or Treat". I'd never heard of it before, but essentially they will have car trunks filled with candy and have a lot of the neighborhood kids come by and have their own kind of trick or treat. Should be pretty neat. We're also supposed to have some kind of Halloween party with the young people that are around my age from the church. The only downside is that they are requiring a costume. I did have a stroke of genius in that department, although my attendance at this event is severely hampered due to the new project I learned I have due in 2 weeks just the other day. My brilliant idea for a costume came to me just the other night. I thought it would be pretty funny to dress up in a tacky Hawiann shirt, get a camera and a baseball hat, and be a Japanese tourist. I wonder if that's just completely wrong...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Excellent thoughts Sam. I agree with you. I have found that there are few things that can be more spiritually uplifting than friends and family. Growing up in my home we made it a habit to read the Bible at the supper table. We also memorized scripture as a family and I perfer talking with my dad concerning spiritual issues over anyone else. If you have a good family (which I think is apart of God's plan) there are few things that are more spiritually uplifting (if any). I truly feel bad for those that have not had such a spiritually uplifting home life than myself...what a blessing and I have done nothing to deserve it.


Concerning your costume: thats not wrong...there is nothing that can be more RIGHT!

Paul Murphy said...

I am required to dress up for halloween. I'm going as John McEnroe. You CANNOT Be SERIOUS