Tuesday, October 17, 2006

The First Time

So there I am, sitting in my 3:40-5:00 Tuesday class, bored out of my mind. What do I do? I pull out the laptop and start reading the Murphy's blogs. Why? Because I get more out of reading them than I do listening to the professor? Maybe. Because the blogs are more fun to read? Definately. Then I go to Facebook. Running commentaries on pictures, notes and one sentence conversations that carry on for days at a time. I send a message, post on a wall, read the updates of the friends that I have. And then it's 3:50. Another hour and ten minutes to go.

I get to thinking, what is it about going on facebook and reading these blogs that's so interesting? It's not like you really are carrying on a conversation, or involved in the pictures that you see, or part of the experiences of people thousands of miles away, but it's still exciting every single time to see a new note or a new picture or a new entry. What makes this such a big thing? Is it because you feel a part of what's happening when you read those things? Yeah, I guess. Is it because it takes you away from where you are and puts you in places that you would rather be? Of course. But mostly it's because I miss seeing those friends on a daily basis and it's good to know what they're up to.

Then something we talked about at church hit me. I wonder how often God feels that way. I mean, it's not that he doesn't know what's going on with us...but how often is it all one-sided, where God knows all about us through our facebook/blog, but we know nothing of what's going on with God?

We all know what "friendships" that are all take are like: "Hey buddy, I need ____" or "Can I borrow ____" or "Would it be alright if I just take _____, I'll get you back later". And we all know how it feels to be the "buddy" in that type of situation. How does God feel? "I promise I'll read my Bible if ____", "I'll do work in the church once ____", "I'll give of my time and money as soon as ____". I know I'm guilty of being the "friend" that only takes. And it's not like God asks that much of us. I mean really, how long does it take to read a few chapters from the Bible? 15 minutes? 20 tops? To pray/talk to him (besides at a meal)? How hard would it be to say no to eating out for one night and put that money in the plate Sunday morning? Is it really that difficult to volunteer for an activity that the church is needing help with? Is it too much to ask to talk with someone about Christ that is clearly needing help?

I guess that I don't like the idea that I'm doing to God what I can't stand to have people do to me. Unfortunately, that's exactly what happens. Does that make God regret being our friend? Thankfully, no. But I can guarantee that we will regret it if we don't make the effort to know Him. I know I will regret being a person that doesn't make the effort to change things for the better in my relationship with Him. And in the end, isn't changing to be more like Christ what being a Christian is all about? Or is it all about whether you should use instruments in church and how many people you can have on a committee.

You know, I have to thank Josh M. He really was right about how writing out stuff makes you kinda figure out what it is you're thinking. On a non-involved note, if you're free anytime tomorrow afternoon between 2:30 and 7 PM EST, turn on ESPN2 or ESPN Classic for some excellent european soccer in the UEFA Champions League. Quite possibly some of the best players in the world on display tomorrow for Chelsea vs. Barcelona.

4 comments:

Josh M said...

Welcome to the blogging world. Thanks for your thoughts

Luke Dockery said...

Woot! Sam has a blog now! (relevant to your post, I figured this out via Facebook) Blogging is fun, I hope you enjoy it.

Philip said...

OK, for those of us out of the loop, what is a Masaki-man? Furthermore, who knew Murphy boys had such smart friends?

Paul Murphy said...

Masaki is Sam's middle name