Friday, December 07, 2007

Party Time!

So tonight is Mandi's company Christmas party. I'm not entirely sure what to expect, and I don't think she does either, but all I know is that there is lots of alcohol and some food or something. Oh, and a dance floor, although I'm not sure how many of the drunk co-workers will be able to dance. I don't think she's all that excited about going as she felt more obligated to go since she's on the event planning board rather than specifically wanting to. But at the least, we'll be able to sit around and mock all the people that are making fools of themselves, and Mandi will have some laughter throughout the year whenever she sees any of them at work. Apparently it's going to be a relatively small group this year due to the fact that it's not at a hotel, which means people can't get quite as trashed since they'll have to drive home instead of getting a room with 3 or 4 other couples...which apparently happens to save money or something...

As I mentioned in the last post, I'm a big fan of the Little Drummer Boy. Well, at least of the song. I think probably every kid at some point or another had to sing that song in some Christmas play or skit...in my case, I had to play it on the piano at some recital. But it's always been a tune that I've enjoyed. Of course, I don't know where Pa rum pum pum pum came from in terms of lyrics...but what can you say? It's been around for close to 40 years, along with a number of the other songs that people can't really get through Christmas without hearing. I've got a version by Jars of Clay in the player that I've grown to like quite a bit over the past week or so while listening to Christmas music off and on. I would suggest that you have a listen, and while you do that, I'll be getting ready to laugh at a bunch of people making complete idiots out of themselves. Should be good times.

2 comments:

Philip said...

OK, I took a pass on the last post, because... we all make mistakes. (i.e. Do you hear what I hear? are you serious? I thought only people that liked that song enjoyed the taste of their own vomit.)

But, now you've gone too far. Drummer Boy is possibly the WORST Christmas song ever. (2nd only to do you hear what i hear)

1. What does it have to do with Christmas? Oh wait. Pretty much NOTHING. A boy just happens to show up to Jesus birth without a gift and carrying a drum. He's like the Murphy of gift giving. He wraps a Snickers Bar in some grocery sack from his back seat.

2. It's innacurate. What drummer would show up to a barn for the birth of a kid? Can't a find a gig elsewhere? Obviously, there were no drummers present at Jesus' birth. They didn't even have a doctor... I certainly don't think they planned a Lollapallooza. Besides, the last thing a baby wants to hear is a snare drum played by a boy band. Trust me... I've tried... and they hate it.

3. It's annoying. If, by the end of the song, you're not ready to kick the kids bum bum bum bum, you're a man of great patience.

4. It's THAT annoying. Any song that can't use actual words (ie MmmBopp) isn't worth singing.

oh yea. Merry Christmas.

Signed, Uncle Scrooge.

Josh M said...

I was gonna let the whole "drummer boy" thing slide too, but now that the cat is out of the bag.

That's the worst song ever.