Thursday, March 22, 2007

Reset

Contrary to the post that Paul put up, Mandi didn't try to hit me with a truck, and a girl didn't try and hit on me at T-Bell. I actually don't think that I've been to a T-Bell in about 6 months...Mandi is home, however, so I guess she would be able to hit me with a truck if she so desired. And even though she's home, she decided to leave me again, and went this weekend to Harding to see some of her friends. That got me to thinking about how many people I know that are still at Harding, and sadly the list is quickly shrinking. I couldn't hardly name anyone that I would actually want to see when I was out there outside of the remaning few that are still on Apocalypse for this semester. Oh well...it has been two years since I graduated, I guess it shouldn't be that surprising. Also, unfortunately the video from last time was taken down due to copy-right stuff, which is unfortunate, cause it was painfully funny to watch.

The soccer coaching front has actually been surprisingly fun. For the most part, the kids are all pretty cool. There are the usual couple that are problems, and there is one that just completely annoys the heck out of me. Everything that I or the other coaches say is met with a sarcastic comment, he does everything half-heartedly (if even that), and is generally disruptive and uninspired in terms of his work ethic. I really don't know what to do about it. It's not like every time we say something, that we can repeat it over and over again because he feels the need to open his mouth and make comments on everything, most of the time in a disrespective way. And it's not like we sit there and beat him down, we try to be encouraging, but when it detracts from everyone else's experience...I'm just not sure how to treat it sometimes. I don't quite know the home situation, but I don't gather that it's all that great, and from his lack of respect for pretty much any adult that I've seen, I don't think he's had a lot of discipline either.

I'll be heading out to SC this next weekend to hang out with Josh Murphy and co. on the boat that he purchased last year. It should be quite the exciting weekend, and it'll be nice to get away from here for a little bit so I think I've not really been anywhere outside of Knoxville since Mandi graduated. I also get to teach the last of my lab sessions in the next couple weeks which is spectacular.

On the master's front, I get the whole lab to myself starting next week for about 3 weeks. My supervisor is married to a woman from China, and they are going to visit her parents. So I've been frantically learning everything the machine that I didn't already know in order to operate it entirely on my own. It's kinda scary, cause other than my supervisor, nobody else in there really knows how to work the machine. So if I get stuck in the next few weeks...big trouble. But I've been starting, stopping, putting together, tearing apart, pretty much anything and everything related to this machine, so I know everything that I need to know. I'll just have to go over a few more things tomorrow and figure out exactly what I should be measuring in the coming weeks. And then it's time to start writing. A lot.

On the TV front, Luke Dockery, this is for you. There is some US Soccer this coming week on Sunday and Wednesday. Nothing really all that spectacular, but it's soccer. This week are international dates so that the European teams can have their qualifying round play for Euro 2008. I wish I could see some of those games...but since we're in the closed-off US, they won't show anything good like that. There's not enough time when there's so much basketball, football re-runs, and world's strongest man competition crap to show.

And of course, the riddle of the day (or in this case, week). This one is called Plain White.

I constantly collide into all the others,
The only one of 16 without colors.
Associated with English and banking and breaking,
The answer is right there for the taking.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a cue ball! Breaking is obviously the first shot of the game and I think banking is when you put a spin on the ball to make bounce off the sides differently or something strange like that.

-Lauren

Paul Murphy said...

I use to think we would always have justin bland, but apparently he wants to move to Michigan, and continue going to school.

Strong work Lauren

Sam Travaglini said...

I thought that as well...I was trying to think of anyone that had been at Harding anywhere near as long as Bland...I was coming up empty. I guess Bland really is one of a kind.