Thursday, October 25, 2007

Different Directions

The camping trip that was last weekend was quite a bit of fun. As I said, it's weird being able to go camping and have it not get below the mid 40's up in the mountains in the middle of October. It was good times though, and having never really been up to Cumberland Gap it was pretty cool. There's a nice overlook where you can see Kentucky, Virginia and Tennessee all at the same time. I would not recommend eating too much before you make the drive up to the top of the mountain though. At least, not if you're easily prone to motion sickness. Like I am. Ugh.

So, while I'm waiting to find out stuff from the UT interview that I had over a month ago now, I'm signing up to be a substitute teacher at the Oak Ridge schools. It's a pretty involved process, as I'll be going to get fingerprinted later on today, and I've apparently had a background check done as well. I guess they need to nowadays. But it should be fairly interesting. I don't know if I'll actually get around to do any teaching, as it depends on how quickly the UT stuff comes through and whether I get it or not, but as it seems like it will be at least 3 more weeks, I might be able to pick up a few extra bucks on the side. I don't really know how much preparation teaching a couple labs for a couple years gives me...but I figure it can't be that much different. Except that they'll be 12-18 years old instead of 18-19...I guess it's not that much of a difference. And besides, it never seemed like subs did anything except give an assignment and sit there and make sure they didn't burn the room down. We'll just have to wait and see how things go.

Speaking of substitutes...I'm sure everyone can remember the sub that was hated and dreaded above all subs when you were in school. I can't really remember having a cool sub...but then again, they don't get much of a chance to make an impression outside of reading the instructions and telling you to be quiet repeatedly. But there was one that everyone feared having, and that I honestly don't know why she kept up with it since she always seemed to be angry. And everyone always gave her grief as well. First, her name was Mrs. Muckenthaler. I think you can imagine where that might have been taken by a bunch of 16 year old guys. Second, she was older, so she had a hard time hearing anything. Third, she had a propensity for sending people to the office. I think I was in a class once that had 6 people sent there during one period. That had to be some kind of record. Oh well...hopefully those situations won't be what I'll be getting in to.

There's something a little different in the media player. It's a piece off The Bourne Supremacy soundtrack. Good stuff.

1 comment:

Paul Murphy said...

Steps to subbing
by Paul Murphy
1. Enter the classroom late. It keeps them on their toes.

2. Curse at them. It throws them off.

3. Tell a story about your grandfather being hospitalized for 23 months and put in a prison camp.. After an unsuccessful kamikaze attack.

4. Teach them something completely erroneous like carbon has 5 bonds or something.