Friday, August 17, 2007

Kickin' It

Soccer season is now officially back in season. The European leagues have already started, or will be starting within the next couple weeks. The English Premiership started last week, and already there have been a number of surprises (Man United held to two draws), and a couple of serious injuries (Wayne Rooney broke his foot after 40 mins). All in all, though, the sport that I find to be the most exciting will be back in full swing by the end of the month. I'm also playing in the fantasy soccer league on espn.com. Last year, Mandi showed me up over the first half of the season before she went to Guatemala. Hopefully I'll have a little better showing this coming season. If you'd want to sign up, you still can here. I'm currently playing against Mandi, Jeremy Stoneburner, and possibly Josh Murphy if he got around to signing up for it. You also don't have to really know anything about it, so if you're interested, run on over there.

In other soccer news, David Beckham made his first start for the LA Galaxy the other night in a 2-0 victory, scoring the first and assisting on the second. It finally looks like the ankle injury is healing up, and you should be hearing a lot more from him in the coming months. He's also been called in for the England national team friendly when they play Germany next week, so it seems as if his career is doing alright. For a look at his goal and assist, take a look here, and click on the "watch the goal" link. A patented Beckham free kick, and much more difficult than he makes it look.

Our church small group has a guys night on the second Tuesday of every month, which is essentially a night for the married guys to get out of the house and go out to eat and see a movie with a bunch of other guys. We went to Wild Wings, and then saw The Bourne Ultimatum. I have to say, I rather enjoyed the movie. It was, in my opinion, on the higher end of the spectrum compared with the other two. Looking back on it, I feel like there was hardly any dialogue, particularly from Matt Damon's character, but that might not actually be the case. I think it's just the fact that the action is so well done, and is always happening, that you kind of forget about the small moments when there are characters actually talking. You have car chases, foot chases, motorcycle pursuits, and some pretty incredible fight scenes. Of all the 3 movies that have come out this summer, this is by far the best one that I've seen. Catch it when you have the chance.

Job hunt update: Going OK. I'm getting massive amounts of help from people at church. Hopefully something will pan out soon that will allow me to stay here. Mandi is here in Knoxville for the next 2-3 years or so, and is now starting a Master's program at Lipscomb on the weekends (gasp!), and so I'm needing to find something around here.

Getting in shape update: So, now that I'm playing in the Club Sectionals tourney in Memphis in a months time, I've got to get running. First run? Tomorrow. Hopefully. Sometime...

2 comments:

Paul Murphy said...

How bout you tell me that before I spend hours looking for a job. Jerk.

Luke Dockery said...

1. I discovered just the other day that the European leagues were starting up again. I didn't realize how close to be year-round big time soccer was.

2. I saw the Bourne Ultimatum last night and thought it was amazing, and I agree with you that it was even better than the other two.

3. I'm thinking about beginning a running regimen tomorrow as well. Regionals, here we come!