Thursday, April 26, 2007

I Walked On The Moon

So I recently discovered an exceptional comedian. I guess it wasn't recently...I believe someone in the grad program told me about him and showed me part of a dvd of him early my first year here at UT. At the time, I guess I didn't think much of it or pay that much attention since I figured it'd be something that I wouldn't find funny or feel like watching. As it turns out though, someone from church earlier this year mentioned the name, and with my lack of memory I completely forgot that I'd heard of him before. I went and found his live cd online and had a listen. It is really incredibly funny and actually clean comedy. If you're looking for some laughs, I'd recommend giving this guy a chance. As a point of reference, here's his website which has a few clips on it.

The UEFA Champions League semi-finals took place Tuesday and Wednesday, and let me say that the game on Tuesday between Manchester United and AC Milan is one of the best that I have seen in recent times. The game was exciting, there were great goals, solid play all around, and basically an exhibition for why soccer is the sport of choice in so many areas of the world. So for you, Paul, I'll be sure to have the last half of the season of House and more than likely the 2 legs of the Manchester United/AC Milan games whenever you get back to the states.

Speaking of something related to the word house, my parents are currently remodeling a little of their house. They're replacing our front and back porches, as well as making a storage shed for lawnmowers and outdoor stuff. They're also putting a room so that they can put their hot-tub back inside and get it running and usable again. It should all turn out to be quite nice by the time they're finished, but it's going to be a while I think. Although, in my mom's mind, she thinks they'll be finished here in the next few weeks. We'll have to see how things go though.

Well, that's about it for today. Here's a little brain teaser to keep you occupied.
Water in the Cup:
A man in a restaurant asked a waiter for a juice glass, a dinner plate, water, a match, and a lemon wedge. The man poured enough water onto the plate to cover it.
"If you can get the water on the plate into this glass without touching or moving this plate, I will give you $100," the man said. "You can use the match and lemon to do this."
A few minutes later, the waiter walked away with $100 in his pocket. How did the waiter get the water into the glass?

2 comments:

Paul Murphy said...

Sweetness!!! The answer to the riddle is put the water on the plate. Place lemon wedge w/match it on plate. Light match and put cup on top. I don't blelieve it works thouth CarboHydrate + O2 = H20 + CO2 solid + gas = water + gas. I don't understand how it forms a "vacuum"

Paul Murphy said...

I decided it is now no longer a chemistry issue but a thermo(?) problem. The heated air would, at first create, high pressure inside the glass. That pressure would soon diffuse leaving an equal pressure on the inside and outside of the glass. As the air inside cooled maybe it would then form the "vacuum" that would suck the water into the cup thus winning the money.