Thursday, February 01, 2007

Snow?

Well, it's now the 1st of February, and there has been snowfall in the East Tennessee area. Maybe a quarter inch at the most. It was amusing watching the news last night how everyone was completely freaked out, the stores had been rushed, the shelves were empty, schools even cancelled the night before just on the threat of snow. Nobody here can handle anything with even the slightest bit of snow on the ground. I'm sure our counterparts in the north mock us mercilessly whenever they happen to hear about schools in the southern states getting closed for a "snow day". It's alright though, cause I took the fact that Knox County schools were closed as a reason to not drive to Oak Ridge and therefore stay at home and work when I feel like it.

In other news, I will be coaching a middle school soccer team this spring. Mandi had told me at the end of the summer that I should coach a team, but it didn't look like it would happen since the coordinator that I knew for the coaching positions in AYSO moved away shortly after. I got a call late last week from a parent at church that helps run our small group that her son's school needed a coach and asked whether I'd be interested. So I said yes. I don't know the full details and we're having a meeting on Saturday to discuss how to get things going, but I'll be coaching a Varsity and JV soccer team at Cedar Bluff Middle School (I think) from later this month through the middle of May. I think it'll be pretty cool. Now I'll get to see if all those years spent complaining about coaches not knowing what they were doing when I was watching other teams play comes back to bite me.

No comments: